Every evening beginning at dusk, the Falls are lit in the colours of the rainbow. Don’t miss the unmatched beauty of the Falls at night! Illumination of the Falls has been financed and operated by The Niagara Falls Illumination Board since 1925.
|2013 Falls Illumination Schedule|
|January 1 – January 31||5 PM – Midnight|
|February 1 – February 28||6:30 PM – 10 PM|
|March 1 – March 9 Mon – Thurs||7 PM – 10 PM|
|March 10 – March 31 Mon – Thurs||8:30 PM – 10 PM|
|April 1 – April 30 Mon – Thurs||8:30 PM – 11 PM|
|* Fridays to Sundays in March and April “off time” is midnight|
|May 1 – August 15||9 PM – Midnight|
|August 16 – September 30||8:30 PM – Midnight|
|October 1 – November 1||7 PM – Midnight|
|November 2 – December 30||5 PM – Midnight|
|December 31||5 PM – 1 AM|
History of the Illumination of Niagara Falls
Lighting the Falls, to allow visitors to enjoy the beauty of the mighty Niagara even at night, was first attempted more than 150 years ago. In 1860, a spectacular illumination of the Falls celebrated a visit by the Prince of Wales. About 200 coloured and white calcium, volcanic and torpedo lights were placed along the banks above and below the American Falls, on the road down the bank of the Canadian side of the gorge and behind the water of the Horseshoe Falls. The lights were called Bengal lights and were the kind used at sea to signal for help or give warning.
The lights were ignited along with rockets, spinning wheels and other fireworks, creating an effect that the London Times called “grand, magical and brilliant beyond all power of words to portray” the likes of which the Prince would “probably never see again.”
Illumination of the Falls using electricity first occurred in January 1879, during a visit by the Marquis of Lorne, Governor-General of Canada and his wife Princess Louise. The lights had an illumination power of 32,000 candles, just a fraction of the intensity used today.
A 36-horsepower generating station in Prospect Park, Niagara Falls, New York, operated in July 1879 with 16 open arc lamps each projecting 2,000 candlepower. The Niagara Falls New York Gazette reported “On the evening of the Fourth, the Park was crowded with visitors and citizens and a very satisfactory exhibition of the new light was given.” The lights were used for only one season.
Sections 1 2